£70,000 - £80,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading construction, civil engineering, and water utilities main contractor, is looking to employ a Commercial Manager on a permanent basis to ensure the successful financial completion of multiple challenging construction projects from contract award through to completion as a key member of a successful management team, while protecting the exposure of the Company to financial risks and to lead and supervise project commercial teams within the Company's Infrastructure Division.
Reporting to a Commercial Director, the right candidate would need demonstrable experience of the responsibilities below.
• Management of subcontract procurement by quantity surveyors
• Commercial management of subcontractor accounts from commencement on site to negotiation and agreement of final accounts
• Ensuring timely certification and payment of subcontractors
• Review and management of monthly cost value reconciliation reports
• Review of monthly cost and value to complete forecasts for projects
• Review and negotiation of final accounts
• Advising on procurement issues
• Management of cost and risk
• Provision of commercial and contractual support and advice to management teams
• Input to customer care of all the stakeholders involved in a project
• Promotion of positive image of the Company name to protect and promote the brand name
• Motivation of team members to gain their commitment and support ensuring their optimum input into the project
• Leading team development for the benefit of the individuals and the company
• Development of supply chain relationships with suppliers and sub-contractors for the benefit of projects
• Input to business continuity processes
• Qualification at HND level (or equivalent qualification)
• Comprehensive experience in a similar position with a medium to major size Civil Engineering Contractor
• Relevant experience on challenging and diverse projects with major clients e.g. Highways England, Water Companies, Airports, Local Authorities
• Experience in dispute documentation – adjudication / legal
• Sound commercial/contractual knowledge
• Experience using NEC family of contracts
• Experience working on a Framework or in a collaborative environment.
• Valid CSCS card
• Experience using Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Inspirational management of others
• Good time management
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong team-working skills
• Systematic/organised, enthusiastic, confident, personable
• Resourceful, reliable
• Proactive support of others in their goals
• Trust and respect; deliver your work on time, be open and transparent, respect confidential information
• Challenge constructively
• Issue resolution: embrace issues and try to find solutions but always escalate to leaders when they cannot be resolved
• Innovation and continual improvement; be prepared to explore new opportunities, voice your ideas and be creative
• Engagement; listen, communicate, respond promptly
• Accountability: take responsibility for your actions, understand your job role
• BSc Degree in Quantity Surveying
• Further professional qualification
• Contacts at senior level in appropriate client organisations
Minimum experience needed:
• Demonstratable experience as a Commercial Manager / Commercial Lead with a medium to major size Civil Engineering contractor, mainly working on civil water utilities infrastructure.
• Significant demonstratable commercial/contractual knowledge.
• Demonstratable experience on projects with relevant major clients.
• Demonstratable experience working on a Frameworks / within collaborative environments.
• Demonstratable experience using NEC family of contracts
• Demonstratable experience in dispute documentation e.g. adjudication / legal.
• IT literate, including Microsoft Suite.
• Qualification in Quantity Surveying at HND level (or equivalent)
• CSCS card
If rate of pay is a sliding scale, what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Extensive experience as a Commercial Manager / Commercial Lead with a medium to major size Civil Engineering contractor working on civil water utilities infrastructure.
• Degree (or higher) in Quantity Surveying.
• Further professional qualifications and/or a Fellow, Chartered or equivalent membership with a relevant professional body.
• Contacts at senior level in appropriate client organisations.
• Further significant demonstratable experience with all points outlined in the job description and minimum experience section
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.