£85,000 - £95,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading construction, civil engineering, and highways main contractor, is looking to employ a Commercial Manager on a permanent basis to focus on Highways and other large national infrastructure projects working with key clients, including National Highways and Local Authorities, throughout the UK. The current projects have a value of approx. annual value of £30m, however this will grow significantly in future years.
Leading and supervising a project commercial team within the sector, working closely with the Business Unit Director and reporting functionally to the Infrastructure Commercial Director, the right candidate will and ensure the successful commercial and financial management of multiple construction projects from contract award through mobilisation, contract delivery and contract completion, as a key member of a successful management team, protecting the exposure of the Company to all project and business risks.
They will also work closely with other internal departments including finance, legal, and work winning, as well as the Strategic Supply Chain and the Customer to ensure a satisfactory commercial outcome and would need demonstrable experience of the responsibilities below.
• Work closely and collaboratively with the Infrastructure Commercial Director and Business Unit Sector Director
• Managing the commercial team to ensure maximum financial returns and positive cashflow
• Managing the pre-contract activities including pricing, terms and conditions and risk and opportunities
• Managing commercial reporting process internally and externally
• Management of subcontract procurement
• Development of supply chain relationships with suppliers and sub-contractors for the benefit of projects
• Commercial management of subcontractor accounts from initial engagement to negotiation and agreement of final accounts
• Ensuring timely certification and payment of subcontractors
• Review and management of monthly Cost Value Reconciliation (CVR) reports
• Review of monthly cost and value to complete forecasts for projects
• Review and timely negotiation of final accounts
• Active leadership in Risk Management
• Provision of commercial and contractual support and advice to management and operational teams
• Input to customer care for the benefit of all the stakeholders involved in a project
• Demonstrating the Company's Values and enhancing the reputation of the business
• Developing and motivating team members to gain their commitment and support ensuring their optimum input into projects
• Leading commercial team development for the benefit of the individuals and the company
• Qualification at HND level (or equivalent qualification)
• Comprehensive experience in a similar position with a medium to major size Civil Engineering Contractor
• Relevant experience on challenging and diverse projects with major clients e.g., Highways England, Water Companies, Airports, Local Authorities
• Experience in dispute documentation – negotiation / mediation / adjudication / litigation
• Sound and varied commercial/contractual knowledge
• Experience using NEC and IChemE conditions of contract
• Experience working on a Framework or in a collaborative environment.
• CSCS registered
• Experience using Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, A Site and document sharing platforms.
• Good interpersonal and communication skills
• Inspirational management and leadership skills
• Excellent time management
• Strong attention to detail
• Team-working skills
• Systematic/organised, enthusiastic, confident, personable
• Resourceful, reliable
• Proactive support of others in their goals
• Trust and respect; deliver your work on time, be open and transparent, respect confidential information
• Challenge constructively
• Issue resolution: embrace issues and try to find solutions but always escalate to leaders when they cannot be resolved
• Innovation and continual improvement; be prepared to explore new opportunities, voice your ideas and be creative
• Engagement; listen, communicate, respond promptly
• Accountability: take responsibility for your actions, understand your job role
• BSc Degree in Quantity Surveying
• Further professional qualification
• Evidence of CPD
• Contacts at senior level in appropriate client organisations
Minimum experience needed:
• Demonstratable experience as a Commercial Manager / Commercial Lead with a medium to major size Civil Engineering contractor, mainly working on highways infrastructure projects.
• Significant demonstratable commercial/contractual knowledge.
• Demonstratable experience on projects with relevant major clients.
• Demonstratable experience working on a Frameworks / within collaborative environments.
• Demonstratable experience using NEC and IChemE conditions of contract
• Demonstratable experience in dispute documentation e.g., negotiation, mediation, adjudication, and litigation.
• IT literate, including Microsoft Suite.
• Qualification in Quantity Surveying at HND level (or equivalent)
• CSCS card / registered
If rate of pay is a sliding scale, what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Extensive experience as a Commercial Manager / Commercial Lead with a medium to major size Civil Engineering contractor working on civil water utilities infrastructure.
• Degree (or higher) in Quantity Surveying.
• Further professional qualifications and/or a Fellow, Chartered or equivalent membership with a relevant professional body.
• Evidence of CPD within relevant subjects to highways/civil construction and commercial aspects.
• Contacts at senior level in appropriate client organisations.
• Further significant demonstratable experience with all points outlined in the job description and minimum experience section
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.