£70,000 - £75,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading water infrastructure main contractor, is looking to employ a Commercial Manager based in the Severn Trent Region, on a permanent basis, to set out and successfully implement the regional business strategy for delivering efficient cost control and procurement needs in line with business unit targets, to monitor all contractual issues, review costs on a continuing basis, identify and realise cost saving opportunities and to oversee material and subcontract procurement.
The right candidate would need demonstrable experience of the responsibilities below.
• Implement regional business strategy
• Work closely with Directors in the commercial management of the business.
• Constantly monitor commercial viability of schemes throughout the development stage.
• Contribute to defining and developing procurement strategy.
• Implement and manage effective placement of subcontractor orders.
• Ensure monitoring systems are in place to manage the financial aspects of a number of projects.
• Control the scheduling and purchasing of materials.
• Contribute to development budgets.
• Review and monitor costs on a continuing basis
• Raise awareness of the need to effectively manage a regime of cost control with local board.
• Prepare regular reports for the board illustrating the financial situation of various projects in relation to budgets, highlighting any issues/risks.
• Reconcile monthly costs reports for presentation to board.
• Management and motivation of Commercial Operations
• Ensure that an effective departmental structure is in place to deliver business unit strategy.
• Ability to understand the key drivers for effective staff motivation.
• Must have the sufficient skills to identify staff weaknesses and implement change where necessary.
• Ensure regular performance reviews take place within the Team.
• As part of management team, responsible for health and safety risk assessment and customer care issues within the business.
• Take responsibility for achieving business targets including cash, profit, return on capital and sales.
• Undertake any other duties as required by the Directors
• Drive forward and attend Concept, Pre-tender, Pre start, specification and any other relevant meeting as required under the Company’s operating framework.
• Developing and managing customer/stakeholder relationships for repeat business opportunities/tenders
• Maintain a positive working relationship with the senior leadership team, peers and teams to debate, develop and implement initiatives and change management protocols
• Ability to lead and empower teams, at varying levels, including any development and retention challenges
• Interpreting core policies and ensuring procedures are adhered to for current legislation, legal and contractual requirements
• Collaboration with central service teams for core processes, people management and development
• Senior Management / leadership roles in the utilities or water industry
• Understanding of the market sector challenges and developments
• Demonstrated experience in the areas of business development and client stakeholder management and engagement
• Understanding of client’s business challenges and targets to align service provision
• Creating, developing and delivering robust business plans
• Delivered target driven and result focused outcomes
• Influenced a strong health and safety performance and culture
• Ability to prioritise workload and manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Experience of change management and evolving strategy into workable solutions
• Empowering innovation
• Leading change projects
• Leading, mentoring and coaching your teams
• Strong commercial acumen and budgetary experience
• Managing extensive and complex business unit budgets
• Developing and maintaining high performance
• Comprehensive knowledge of current trends and best practice
• Ability to drive margin improvements through structured efficiency programmes
• Industry degree or equivalent
• Membership within an accredited body i.e., ICE, IMechE, IET, CIOB, RICS, CABE etc.
Minimum experience needed:
• Demonstratable experience as a Commercial Manager / Commercial Lead, mainly in the utilities or water industry.
• Membership within a relevant accredited / professional body
• Significant demonstratable commercial acumen and budgetary experience
• Significant demonstratable experience of leading, mentoring and coaching teams
• Significant demonstratable experience of business development and client stakeholder management and engagement
• Demonstratable experience of managing extensive and complex business unit budgets
• Demonstratable experience of change management
• Demonstratable experience of evolving strategy into workable solutions
• Demonstratable experience of creating, developing and delivering robust business plans
• Demonstratable experience of understanding client’s business challenges and targeting to align service provision
• IT literate, including Microsoft Suite.
• Relevant industry qualification at Degree level (or equivalent)
If rate of pay is a sliding scale, what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Extensive experience as a Commercial Manager / Commercial Lead, mainly in the utilities or water industry.
• Further professional qualifications and/or a Fellow, Chartered or equivalent membership with a relevant professional body.
• Evidence of CPD within relevant subjects.
• Contacts at senior level in appropriate client organisations.
• Further significant demonstratable experience with all points outlined in the job description and minimum experience section.
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.