£30,000 - £40,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading regional civil infrastructure and engineering main contractor, is looking to employ a Design Engineer on a permanent basis to carry out detailed structural design and checking of temporary works and minor permanent works for civil engineering and to provide technical support to assist with operational activities.
Working as part of Design & Engineering team, the right candidate would need demonstrable experience of the responsibilities below.
• Prepare and check detailed technical designs (including calculations, drawings, risk assessments, design certificates)
• Undertake preliminary designs for pricing
• Obtain independent checks and/or third-party technical approvals (e.g., for rail works)
• Ensure design outputs meet CDM/health and safety/environmental compliance
• Provide technical information/advice
• Propose and/or develop value-engineered alternative solutions (during design or construction phases)
• Undertake a technical review of method statements for complex or unusual methods
• Undertake a review of defects or compensation events and advise on solutions
• Assist with the approval of external suppliers
• Assist with the developing and maintaining processes, procedures and standards for technical design
• Obtain or provide pricing for estimating purposes
• Liaise with clients/customers/suppliers/third parties as necessary
• Assist with promoting best practices internally
• Assist with promoting the Company to customers
• Deliver required services on time and to cost/quality standards
• Contribute wherever possible to enable the company to meet CDM/health & safety/environmental targets
• Experience within the structural engineering field, experience in the detailed design of structures either permanent or temporary works including the use of frame analysis software, structural design software and the use of CAD software for design purposes (not drafting)
• Ability to carry out calculations by hand or in software such as MathCAD
• Working knowledge of relevant industry specifications (Eurocodes, BS 5975 and other BS standards for structural design still used in the industry)
• Experience in structural engineering office carrying out design calculations, analysis and developing or following structural methodology
• Degree, or equivalent, in Structural Engineering
• Thorough knowledge of structural principles
• Knowledge of construction processes, methods etc
• Good team worker and able to coach others but also able to exercise own judgement and work independently and manage own time/tasks
• Effective communicator and able to assert own view
• Ability to identify structural suitability, critical load cases
• A mix of site and design office experience
• Incorporated/Chartered membership, or equivalent, with a relevant professional institution (or enroute to achieving such a qualification)
• Current relevant CSCS card
Minimum Experience Needed:
• Demonstratable experience within the structural engineering field.
• Demonstratable experience in the detailed design of structures either permanent or temporary works.
• Demonstratable experience using frame analysis software, structural design software and CAD software for design purposes.
• Demonstratable understanding of relevant industry specifications.
• Demonstratable experience in structural engineering office carrying out design calculations, analysis and developing or following structural methodology.
• Demonstratable knowledge of structural principles, construction processes, methods, and experience identify structural suitability, critical load cases etc
• Degree or equivalent in Structural Engineering
If rate of pay is a sliding scale what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Demonstratable history of site and design office experience
• Attained, or aiming for, Incorporated/Chartered membership or equivalent with a relevant professional institution
• Demonstrable experience with all job description responsibilities.
• Demonstratable experience with all points in the minimum experience section.
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.