£30,000 - £40,000 per annum
Job DescriptionDesign Engineer required to carry out detailed structural design and checking of temporary works and minor permanent works for civil engineering and to provide technical support to
assist with operational activities.
• Experience in independently carrying out structural and civil engineering calculations for design (temporary and permanent), knowledge of temporary works and design standards such as BS5975 and Eurocode 2, 3 and 5.
• Basic CAD Software knowledge to be able to extract information from CAD files and able to draft basic Engineering details in a CAD Software.
• Independent in analysing structures and extracting information from design brief.
• Prepare and check detailed technical designs (including calculations, drawings, risk assessments, design certificates)
• Undertake preliminary designs for pricing
• Obtain independent checks and/or third-party technical approvals (e.g. for rail works)
• Ensure design outputs meet CDM/health and safety/environmental compliance
• Provide technical information/advice
• Propose and/or develop value-engineered alternative solutions (during design or construction phases)
• Undertake a technical review of method statements for complex or unusual methods
• Undertake a review of defects or compensation events and advise on solutions
• Assist with the approval of external suppliers
• Assist with the developing and maintaining processes, procedures and standards for
• technical design
• Obtain or provide pricing for estimating purposes
The successful candidate is likely to meet all of the following criteria:
• Experience of 2-3 years within the structural engineering field, experience in the detailed design of structures either permanent or temporary works including the use of frame analysis software, structural design software and the use of CAD software for design purposes (not drafting)
• Ability to carry out calculations by hand or in software such as MathCAD
• Working knowledge of relevant industry specifications (Eurocodes, BS 5975 and other BS standards for structural design still used in the industry)
• Experience in structural engineering office carrying out design calculations, analysis and developing or following structural methodology
• Degree, or equivalent, in Structural Engineering
• Thorough knowledge of structural principles and of construction processes, methods etc
• Good team worker and able to coach others but also able to exercise own judgement and work independently and manage own time/tasks
• Effective communicator and able to assert own view
• Ability to identify structural suitability, critical load cases
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.