£45,000 - £55,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client is looking to employ a Design Lead to become part of their company on a permanent basis. The client is a utility and construction company, and the right candidate will be a key member of the design team by ensuring the delivery of a high standard of work, always safely, within an AMP7 framework.
What you’ll be doing day to day
• Performing and coordinating internal and external activities associated with civil design, inc. drainage design, in line with client, specifications and design standards.
• Design duties will include preparation of design solutions at various stages of a project; preparation of drawings, reports, specifications, and estimates; document management; attendance at meetings and checking the work of other team members to ensure accuracy.
• Co-ordination of a wide range of discipline inputs; monitoring and protecting our client relationships; planning and programming; commercial management and presenting projects for audit.
• Maintaining on-going communication with relevant Team Leaders / Senior Managers and clients when required to ensure effective communications on matters relevant to the project.
• Contributing to the resolution of technical issues on projects and providing technical guidance to other team members, such as junior engineers, technicians, and apprentices.
• Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall design.
• Promoting and developing the technical capability of other team members.
• Gaining awareness of, and familiarity with, the commercial aspects of projects to develop commercial skills.
• Developing innovative and entrepreneurial thinking and behaviour.
• Continual professional development in the industry and keeping up to date with innovations and developments.
• Being familiar with, and compliant with, relevant Health & Safety regulations and to promote a culture of awareness within the team.
• Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your line managers, project managers or by the business.
• Lead by example to others on site and implement best practice procedures within the team
• Ensure our people work to the company values and respect the public and their surroundings
• Maintain quality and environmental control procedures in accordance with ISO 9001and ISO 14001.
• Create and maintain good relations with clients, design teams and neighbours as well as any other stakeholders.
The experience we’re looking for in a candidate
• Substantial design experience, inc. drainage, gained with water authority and/or major infrastructure schemes throughout the UK.
• Strong knowledge of the UK Water Industry and Sewer Sector Guidance standards for drainage design.
• Expertise in software design methods such as MicroDrainage, AutoCAD and Civils3D, knowledge of integration with BIM models would be desirable.
• Technically competent in fundamental hydraulic design principles and ability to apply manual calculation methods where software methods are not available.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Line management and performance management experience.
• Demonstrated experience in a client facing position.
• Ability to think in an innovative and entrepreneurial manner.
• A strong team-working ethic is essential.
• Good people skills with the ability to lead a team and to motivate others.
• Willingness to learn and improve skills.
• Positive attitude.
• Excellent communication, organisational, planning and time management skills.
• Full UK driving license.
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.