£55,000 - £70,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a gas and energy specialist contractor, is looking to employ an Estimator on a permanent basis to:
• Provide support to the tendering team and pursue new business opportunities,
• Assist with the production, strategy, and interfacing between various departmental function to ensure that tender returns are accurately priced, commercially, and technically detailed, competitive and ensure timescales maintained throughout the tendering process,
• Be involved in developing and maintaining strong relationships with Clients and other professionals together with fostering the development of future tender success and new Client opportunities, as well as supporting the transition between the tender phase to project handover and delivery.
The role would require the right candidate to undertake, and have demonstrable experience in, the responsibilities below.
• Carefully inspect tender documentation and understand the contractual requirements to analyse and identify specific requirements and recognise potential risk and constructability implications (unfavourable ground conditions, onerous contract clauses etc.)
• Prepare detailed tender estimates from first principle, ‘take offs’ and Bill of Quantities (BoQ)
• Adhere to Fastflow processes and controls
• Clearly mark BoQ to identify items requiring external price enquiries from suppliers and subcontractors
• Produce and coordinate such enquiries together with the relevant specifications, preliminary elements, and appropriate drawings. Working with the supply chain and monitor the enquiry process and return timescales.
• Oversee or complete supplier analysis and make recommendations for selection within the tender returns
• Develop and maintain a library of outputs and pricing data
• Check and verify rate build-ups and amend/recommend adjustments as necessary
• Visit sites and make all necessary record notes and photographs
• Assimilate information and take account of the same in tender pricing
• Prepare pre-start contract documents and hand over to project delivery team
• Assist in the preparation of tender submissions including undertaking presentations to Clients
• Form and maintain professional relationships with Operation and Commercial Directors, Planners, and Commercial and Procurement Managers
• Recognise customer requirements and manage their expectations at all times to ensure customer satisfaction
• Establishing and promoting an effective tender management process and controls to ensure successful strategy to minimise risk/loss of opportunity and margin
• Working to stringent time deadlines
Minimum Experience Needed:
• Demonstratable experience in tendering or quantity surveying with a Civil or Utilities background
• Demonstratable experience of NEC suit of Contracts
• Demonstratable experience interpreting Client adapted forms of Contract
• Demonstratable ability to ‘take off’ from design drawings, interpret specifications and prepare Bills of Quantities
• Demonstratable experience of Involvement in the tendering process, preparation, and presentation of detailed tender cost build ups
• Computer literacy including Microsoft Suite
• HND/Degree or equivalent in Construction or relevant subject.
• Valid, full UK driving License
If rate of pay is a sliding scale what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Demonstrable experience with all job description responsibilities.
• Demonstratable experience with all points in the minimum experience section
• Experience in Gas sector or CNI/ISS experience or similar client base with projects incorporating similar scope
• Experience understanding the planning processes and planning tools such as Primavera and Microsoft Project
• Experience of making presentations to customers or groups utilising presentation tools
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.