Principal Mechanical Engineer
Wakefield / Warrington
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading water infrastructure contractor, is looking to employ a Principal Mechanical Engineer on a permanent basis to be responsible for leading mechanical design function and output to support all of the company’s clients.
Reporting to the Regional Design Manager, the role would require the right candidate to have significant experience and a strong track record in technical design delivery in the water industry, and to undertake the responsibilities below.
Technical leadership for the mechanical design function.
• Follow and develop process design procedures and
• Manage and further develop sub-processes and process design activities.
Ensuring technical excellence.
• Seek optimum solutions,
• Drive teams to produce efficient designs balancing capital and operational costs and benefits,
• Identify and manage opportunities and risks,
• Promote innovation and
• Ensure that procedural technical governance is adhered to.
Industry practice champion.
• Ensure that applicable industry standards and codes of practice are upheld and
• Ensure that designers abide by client particular specifications and requirements.
Design for safe construction and operation.
• Ensure health and safety and
• Safeguard the workforce, clients’ personnel and the public by implementing designs that can be safely built, commissioned, optimised, operated and decommissioned.
• To be involved in technical problem solving on projects in delivery,
• Ensure that issues are identified and safely managed through technical governance and risk and opportunity management and
• Feedback and promote new insights from previous projects on future schemes.
Technical development of staff.
• The role does not include line management responsibilities, but you will need to
• Possess a strong drive to share and impart knowledge and
• Mentor and develop our expanding design team.
Professional development of staff.
• Develop strong links to professional bodies,
• encourage and support development of staff towards professional accreditation and chartered status and
• promote STEM engagement with local schools, colleges and universities to encourage engineering as a career.
The experience we are looking for in a candidate:
• Industry applicable BEng, BSc or equivalent in a mechanical discipline
• Significant experience and understanding of water and sewage treatment and their component processes
• Extensive water industry mechanical design expertise
• Working knowledge of CDM
• Commercial and contractual awareness and the implications of design in effective project delivery
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and / or Google software packages
• The ability to work in a busy environment under pressure
• Good time management skills to prioritise a varied workload to comply with tight deadlines
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills
• A “can do” attitude and the ability provide to support and mentoring to other members of the team
• Prepare and/or check process calculations
• Prepare and/or check PBDs, PFDs and P&IDs
• Support the preparation and implementation of commissioning plans and impact assessments
• Chartered Engineer (or able and ready to progress to chartered status)
• Experience with AutoCAD, Revit and FEA software’s would be an advantage
• Strong team player but also able to work as an individual
Minimum Experience Needed:
• Significant demonstratable experience of water and/or sewage treatment and their component processes
• Significant demonstratable experience of water industry mechanical design expertise
• Demonstratable experience of CDM
• Demonstratable commercial and contractual awareness
• Demonstratable experience of preparing and/or checking process calculations
• Demonstratable experience of preparing and/or checking PBDs, PFDs and P&IDs
• Demonstratable experience supporting the preparation and implementation of commissioning plans and impact assessments
• Computer literacy including Microsoft Suite and Google Software Packages
• An engineering industry applicable BEng, BSc or equivalent in a mechanical discipline
If rate of pay is a sliding scale what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Significant demonstratable experience of water and/or sewage treatment and their component processes with a leading contractor/main client.
• Additional qualifications in mechanical design relevant to water and/or sewage treatment processes.
• Professional Engineering memberships relevant to engineering discipline, including Chartership.
• Demonstratable experience with AutoCAD, Revit and FEA
• Demonstrable experience with all job description responsibilities.
• Demonstratable experience with all points in the minimum experience section.
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.