£50,000 - £60,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a tier one utilities service provider specialising in the delivery of integrated power solutions, is looking to employ a Quantity Surveyor on a permanent basis to assist with establishing, implementing, and managing pre & post contract commercial and procurement management, reporting systems and procedures across a wide range of civil engineering and utility contracts.
Reporting to the Senior Quantity Surveyor & responsible for the evaluation, negotiation, management, and mitigation of commercial and contractual risks for the contracts, the right candidate would need demonstrable experience of the responsibilities below.
Day to day running of the commercial and contract administration of assigned projects and/or Framework contracts, including:
• Management of Subcontractors, including negotiation of rates, reconciliation of tender / subcontractor rates, agreeing variations and assessing applications.
• Tender Submissions which include preparing, negotiating, and analysing costs for tenders, review of terms and conditions, clarifying tenders preparing subcontract tender packages if required, evaluate subcontract responses.
• Contract administration through preparation of monthly valuations, variations control, arranging for payment, contract administration and preparation and assessment of claims if required.
• Cost reporting which will include preparing monthly reports analysing cost v value for monthly CVR’s.
• Assist in managing cost effectiveness from the initial stages of the project to the final costs, including responsibility to minimise the costs of the project and enhance value for money whilst ensuring that the project meets legal and quality assurance requirements.
• Attendance at internal and external Contract Handover, Progress Review and Operational meetings.
• Ownership of assigned Contracts, responsible for ensuring Contract administration in accordance with the company Integrated Management System and Contract Terms & Conditions.
• Site visits and progress review meetings as required.
• Commercial support to Project Managers and Site Agents.
• To promote the services of the company whilst carrying out your duties to assist in creating new business.
• Proactive problem solving.
• Maintain an up to date understanding of technical, contractual, and commercial developments.
• Demonstrable experience of civil engineering and utility contracts at a Quantity Surveyor level
• Customer aware and innovative, capable of maximising contract benefits for mutual and long-term benefit
• Track record or exceeding business targets and KPIs.
• Ability to identify and resolve problems at an early stage.
• Able to lead, set up and manage site-based commercial and reporting systems.
• A ‘Hands on’ approach with proven ability to run own jobs.
• Accurate with good attention to detail and highly organised.
• Ability to bring together the operational and commercial staff to work as a unit.
• A competent negotiator, skilled communicator.
• IT literate and experienced in working with MS Office and other applications and Cost Control Systems (e.g., Evision)
• Experience of the standard forms of contract within the industry, i.e., JCT, NEC, Bespoke contracts.
Minimum experience needed:
• Demonstrable experience on multiple contracts/projects within utilities, civil engineering or construction as a Quantity Surveyor.
• Demonstrable experience using Cost Control Systems and IT literate.
• Experience with JCT, NEC and Bespoke contracts (standard forms of contract).
• Degree in Quantity Surveying or equivalent and/or significant demonstrable experience within Quantity Surveying
• CSCS card
If rate of pay is a sliding scale, what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Significant demonstrable experience with a Leading/Main Contractor on multiple contracts/projects within power utilities and civil engineering as a Quantity Surveyor
• Member, Incorporated or Chartered Professional.
• Significant experience with JCT, NEC and Bespoke contracts, including subcontracts specific to power utilities or civil engineering.
• Significant demonstrable experience with all job description responsibilities.
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.