Senior Quantity Surveyor
£50,000 - £60,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading construction and civil engineering main contractor, is looking to employ a Senior Quantity Surveyor to work as part of the Commercial Team on a permanent basis to ensure the successful financial completion of projects, to protect the Company to financial risks, and adhere to the commercial procedures of the Business. The Senior Quantity Surveyor will be responsible for the commercial management of a section of a large project or on several smaller projects.
The experience we are looking for in a candidate:
• Sound & comprehensive understanding of construction industry and the parties to it.
• Proficient knowledge of measurement and valuation.
• Good knowledge of NEC and JCT forms of contract.
• Proficient in reading drawings, specifications, and knowledge of construction process.
• Ability to negotiate with clients/sub-contractors.
• Ability to draft subcontracts and design appointments.
• Knowledge of CIS.
• Experience of undertaking risk assessments and valuation of them in conjunction with other project team members.
• Ability to produce accurate monthly cost and value reports and outturn financial forecasts.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Awareness of dispute procedures.
• Experience of value engineering.
• Professional membership of recognised institute e.g., RICS (desirable)
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages e.g., Excel, Word & PowerPoint
• Extensive experience of working on live projects and final accounts.
• Experience of developing second stage tender submissions working under preconstruction services agreement
• Exposure to resolving disputes.
• Successfully completed several final accounts.
• Experience of procuring major works subcontracts.
• Experience of managing, mentoring, and developing staff.
• Experience of working on health, education, mixed use, and commercial projects highly desirable.
• To co-operate with, report to and implement the reasonable directives of the Regional Director/Manager and the Commercial Manager (functional reporting).
• To ensure the timely submission of all relevant data required to monitor and analyse individual contract performance on a monthly and quarterly basis thereafter.
• To liaise with contracts management in the day-to-day commercial administration of contracts to ensure the financial success of construction operations and to keep the Commercial Manager appraised of all material events.
• To ensure the full and proper implementation of the Group’s Commercial Procedures where delegated authority so requires.
• To prepare accurate draft sub-contracts and/or to approve such drafts as prepared by subordinates within the Region to the level of responsibility dictated by the Group’s Commercial Procedures.
• To ensure that a high personal standard of professionalism is evident to all external clients, peers, and subordinates in the day-to-day management of the Regions activities.
• To supervise, mentor and encourage all junior staff in their personal professional development.
• To ensure in consultation with contracts management that all necessary notices and submissions required by the various forms of contract are given in an expedient manner to protect the Group’s position in its trading activities.
• To ensure in consultation with contracts management that main contract payment applications contain all necessary admeasure/additional cost claims and that the timely submission of detailed claims and final accounts is achieved.
• To assist contracts management in the administration of sub-contractor performance to ensure the economic and timely completion of all sub-contractor liabilities written into the sub-contract.
• To ensure the prompt and regular submission of main contract payment applications and subsequent cash collection together with the preparation of sub-contractor payments (strictly in accordance with specified payment terms).
• Involvement in dispute avoidance/resolution.
• Responsible for managing meetings.
• Line management responsibility for members of the commercial team.
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.