Senior SHE Advisor
£38,000 - £45,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading gas and energy specialist contractor, is looking to employ a Senior SHE Advisor on a permanent basis to:
• Support the delivery team by providing coaching, advice and training to managers, staff, and contractors to deliver legislative compliance.
• Promote continuous improvement to sustain positive health, safety, and environmental performance.
• Implement company strategy to enable responsibility and accountability within line managers and staff, with emphasis on behavioural safety.
• Be a source of expertise on safety and health issues.
• Provide coordination of the health and safety aims of the project teams.
• Drive engagement and collaboration across delivery teams.
Reporting to the SHEQ Manager, the role would require the right candidate to undertake, and have demonstrable experience in, the responsibilities below.
• To support projects in the delivery of the companies Health, Safety and Environmental strategy and ensure managers assume full responsibility for the discharge of responsibilities, associated with their normal activities.
• Provide appropriate Health, Safety and Environmental input into the tender and contract award process
• Act as a single point of contact for advice and expertise on Health & Safety matters to the project teams to ensure the effectiveness of the Construction Phase Plans during the lifecycle of the project.
• Provide environmental & sustainability guidance towards meeting our targets, metrics, and net zero drivers.
• Support and undertake when required accident / incident investigations, to establish root causes and communicate learning points to prevent re-occurrence.
• Challenge existing working methods to incorporate Health, Safety and Environmental good practice during both the design & construction phases without compromising business priorities
• Contribute to a safe & secure culture through behaviour-based coaching at all levels within the project, contributing towards Formal Process Safety Assessments where required.
• Liaise with the wider construction industry to ensure that lessons are shared and implemented
• Co-ordinate, develop & maintain positive relationships with local stakeholders, the HSE, Local Authorities, EA and SEPA
• Have an in-depth knowledge & provide expert advice on the CDM regulation requirements for gas projects covering various roles such as Client, Principal Designer & Principal Contractor.
• Provide support & guidance to ensure project representatives are aware of their roles and responsibilities in line with National Grids/Cadent/SGN QMS.
• Undertake reviews of Fastflow/contractor documentation, participate in site safety meetings, H&S Audits & Sensible Monitoring Inspections on gas projects.
• Provide independent H&S audit capability to the delivery teams for a portfolio of projects through pre-construction & construction phases.
• Ensure suitable controls and processes are in place for the development and ongoing management of the CDM Risk Register and monitoring of the suitability and effectiveness of the Contractor’s temporary works inspections on gas projects
• Assist the project team representatives with the review of contractor’s competence and identification of training needs
• Provide monthly H&S data & safety stats to line management as needed
• Develop internal relationships to resolve issues, develop internal learning and identify opportunities for collaboration
Minimum experience needed:
• Demonstratable experience as a SHEQ Advisor, mainly in the gas and energy construction industry.
• Demonstratable experience of coaching, motivating, communicating with and influencing colleagues at various organisational levels.
• Demonstratable experience recommending preventative action, developing new initiatives and co-ordinating or ensuring their implementation.
• Demonstratable experience developing and delivering training and briefing material.
• Demonstratable experience with auditing and root cause analysis techniques and identifying and assessing patterns of resistance.
• Experience with CDM Regulations, specifically in relation to Client, Principal Designer & Principal Contractor role.
• Knowledge & experience of Environmental management requirements.
• NEBOSH Certificate (NEBOSH Construction preferred)
• Current full UK driving license
• EUSR Cross Country Pipelines / SHEA Gas
If rate of pay is a sliding scale what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Extensive experience as a SHEQ Advisor, mainly in the gas and energy construction industry.
• Diploma (or equivalent) in Health & Safety, or significant demonstratable SHEQ & Gas construction industry experience.
• Formal auditor training ISO 9001 /14001/18001 trained
• Membership of a safety or environmental professional body or engineering institute to incorporated or chartered level
• Further significant demonstratable experience with all points outlined in the job description and minimum experience section.
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.