£70,000 - £80,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading regional construction, utilities and property maintenance main contractor, is looking to employ a SHE Manager - Infrastructure on a permanent basis to:
• Support the Operations team, providing specialist coaching, advice and training that will drive, motivate, inspire, and encourage managers, staff and contractors to deliver legislative compliance and promote continuous improvement to create, achieve and sustain world class health, safety and environmental performance resulting in net zero and improved sustainability,
• Drive the implementation of the company strategy to enable responsibility and accountability to reside with line managers and staff, with particular emphasis on behavioural safety and to be a business source of expertise on safety and health issues.
Reporting to the Group SHEQ Director or Business Unit Operations Director, the right candidate would need demonstrable experience of the responsibilities below.
• Manage a team of SHE Advisors to support projects in the delivery of the companies Health, Safety and Environmental strategy and ensure managers assume full responsibility for the discharge of responsibilities, associated with their normal activities.
• Provide appropriate Health, Safety and Environmental input into the tender and contract award process.
• Act as a single point of contact for advice and expertise on Health & Safety matters to the project teams to ensure the effectiveness of the Construction Phase Plans during the lifecycle of the project.
• Provide environmental & sustainability guidance towards meeting our targets, metrics and net zero drivers.
• Manage the preparation of, and in certain circumstances undertake, accident / incident investigations, to establish root causes and communicate learning points to prevent re-occurrence.
• Challenge existing working methods to incorporate Health, Safety and Environmental good practice during both the design & construction phases without compromising business priorities
• Contribute to a safe & secure culture through behaviour-based coaching at all levels within the project, contributing towards Formal Process Safety Assessments where required.
• Liaise with the wider construction industry to ensure that lessons are shared and implemented
• Co-ordinate, develop & maintain positive relationships with local stakeholders, the HSE, Local Authorities, EA and SEPA
• Have an in-depth knowledge & provide expert advice on the CDM regulation requirements for gas projects covering various roles such as Client, Principal Designer & Principal Contractor.
• Provide support & guidance to ensure project representatives are aware of their SHE roles and responsibilities in line with our clients QMS.
• Undertake reviews of the companies/contractor documentation, participate in site safety meetings, H&S Audits & Sensible Monitoring Inspections on gas projects.
• Provide independent H&S audit capability to the delivery teams for a portfolio of projects through pre-construction & construction phases.
• Ensure suitable controls and processes are in place for the development and ongoing management of the CDM Risk Register and monitoring of the suitability and effectiveness of the Contractor’s temporary works inspections on gas projects
• Assist the project team representatives with the review of contractor’s competence and identification of training needs
• Provide monthly H&S data & safety stats to Directors as needed.
• Develop internal relationships to resolve issues, develop internal learning and identify opportunities for collaboration
• Good inter-personal skills with proven skills in coaching and motivating people
• Ability to communicate and influence effectively at all organisational levels (including Senior Managers)
• Ability to recommend preventative action, develop new initiatives and co-ordinate or ensure their implementation
• Ability to develop & deliver training/briefing material in an innovative, enjoyable but effective way
• Demonstrates determination to achieve business goals despite opposition and displays personal commitment
• Experienced in auditing and root cause analysis techniques
• Good report writing skills is an absolute requirement
• Ability to identify and assess patterns of resistance and effective problem-solving skills
• A good understanding of CDM Regulations, specifically in relation to Client, Principal Designer & Principal Contractor role
• Experience within the Gas, Pipelines, Water or Utilities industry is essential
• Diploma (or equivalent) in Health & Safety and or considerable relevant Gas & Water industry experience
• Membership of a safety or environmental professional body or engineering institute to incorporated or chartered level
• Current full UK driving license
• Formal auditor training ISO 9001 /14001/18001 trained
Minimum experience needed:
• Significant demonstratable experience as a Lead SHE Manager with proven skills in coaching, motivating and influencing at all organisational levels.
• Significant demonstratable experience within the Gas, Pipelines, Water or Utilities industry
• Significant demonstratable experience recommending preventative action, developing new initiatives and co-ordinating/ensure their implementation.
• Significant demonstratable experience developing & delivering training/briefing material
• Significant demonstratable experience in auditing and root cause analysis techniques
• Significant demonstratable experience in report writing
• Demonstratable experience identifying and assessing patterns of resistance
• Demonstratable experience with CDM Regulations in relation to Client, Principal Designer & Principal Contractor role
• Membership of a safety, environmental or engineering institute/professional body at incorporated/chartered level
• Current full UK driving license
• Diploma (or equivalent) in Health & Safety and or considerable relevant experience in the Gas & Water industry
If rate of pay is a sliding scale, what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Formal ISO 9001, 14001 and 18001 auditor training
• Further significant demonstratable experience with all points outlined in the job description and minimum experience section
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.