£40,000 - £45,000 per annum
Tyne and Wear
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading civil and utilities construction contractor, who specialise in telecoms, gas and energy and water networks and infrastructure, is looking to employ a SHEQ Advisor on a permanent basis to:
• Support the telecoms delivery team, providing specialist coaching, advice and training that will drive, motivate, inspire, and encourage managers, staff and contractors to deliver legislative compliance,
• Promote continuous improvement to create, achieve and sustain world class health, safety and environmental performance resulting in net zero and improved sustainability,
• Drive the implementation of the company strategy to enable responsibility and accountability to reside with line managers and staff, with particular emphasis on behavioural safety,
• Be a business source of expertise on safety and health issues on telecommunications projects and provide coordination of the Health and Safety aims of the telecoms project teams, and
• Drive engagement and collaboration across delivery teams.
Reporting to the Telecommunications Operations Director, the right candidate would need demonstrable experience of the responsibilities below.
• To support projects in the delivery of the companies Health, Safety and Environmental strategy and ensure managers assume full responsibility for the discharge of responsibilities, associated with their normal activities.
• Provide appropriate Health, Safety and Environmental input into the tender and contract award process
• Act as a single point of contact for advice and expertise on Health & Safety matters to the project teams to ensure the effectiveness of the Construction Phase Plans during the lifecycle of the project.
• Provide environmental & sustainability guidance towards meeting our targets, metrics and net zero drivers.
• Support and undertake when required accident / incident investigations, to establish root causes and communicate learning points to prevent re-occurrence.
• Challenge existing working methods to incorporate Health, Safety and Environmental good practice during both the design & construction phases without compromising business priorities
• Contribute to a safe & secure culture through behavioural based coaching at all levels within the project, contributing towards Formal Process Safety Assessments where required.
• Liaise with the wider construction industry to ensure that lessons are shared and implemented
• Co-ordinate, develop & maintain positive relationships with local stakeholders, the HSE, Local Authorities, EA and SEPA
• Have an in-depth knowledge & provide expert advice on the CDM regulation requirements for telecommunications projects covering various roles such as Client, Principal Designer & Principal Contractor.
• Provide support & guidance to ensure project representatives are aware of their roles and responsibilities in line with the end client
• Undertake reviews of the company’s / contractor documentation, participate in site safety meetings, H&S Audits & Sensible Monitoring Inspections on telecommunications projects.
• Provide independent H&S audit capability to the delivery teams for a portfolio of projects through pre-construction & construction phases.
• Ensure suitable controls and processes are in place for the development and ongoing management of the CDM Risk Register and monitoring of the suitability and effectiveness of the Contractor’s temporary works inspections on the end clients projects
• Assist the project team representatives with the review of contractor’s competence and identification of training needs
• Provide monthly H&S data & safety stats to line management as needed
• Develop internal relationships to resolve issues, develop internal learning and identify opportunities for collaboration
• Good interpersonal skills with proven skills in coaching and motivating people
• Ability to communicate and influence effectively at all organisational levels (including Senior Managers)
• Ability to recommend preventative action, develop new initiatives and co-ordinate or ensure their implementation
• Ability to develop & deliver training/briefing material in an innovative, enjoyable but effective way
• Demonstrates determination to achieve business goals despite opposition and displays personal commitment
• Experienced in auditing and root cause analysis techniques
• Ability to identify and assess patterns of resistance and effective problem-solving skills
• A good understanding of CDM Regulations, specifically in relation to Client, Principal Designer & Principal Contractor role.
• NEBOSH Certificate and considerable relevant construction SHE & Telecoms industry experience.
• Knowledge & experience of Environmental management requirements.
• Current full UK driving license
Minimum Experience Needed:
• Demonstratable experience as a SHEQ Advisor, mainly in the telecoms or utilities construction industry.
• Demonstratable ability of influencing, coaching and motivating colleagues effectively at all levels
• Demonstratable experience recommending preventative action, developing new initiatives and co-ordinating their implementation
• Demonstratable experience developing and delivering training/briefing material effectively.
• Demonstratable experience with auditing and root cause analysis techniques
• Demonstratable experience identifying and assessing patterns of resistance
• Demonstratable experience of CDM Regulations, specifically in relation to Client, Principal Designer & Principal Contractor role.
• Demonstratable experience of environmental management requirements
• I.T literate including Microsoft Suite
• NEBOSH Certificate (NEBOSH Construction Preferred)
• Full, valid UK driving licence
If rate of pay is a sliding scale what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Further experience as a SHEQ Advisor, mainly in the telecoms installation industry.
• Diploma (or equivalent) in Health & Safety or considerable relevant SHE & telecommunications industry experience.
• Formal auditor training ISO 9001 /14001/18001 trained
• Membership of a safety or environmental professional body or engineering institute to incorporated or chartered level
• Further significant demonstratable experience with all points outlined in the job description and minimum experience section.
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.