£45,000 - £55,000 per annum
Job DescriptionOur client, a leading construction, civil engineering, and water utilities main contractor, is looking to employ a Planner on a permanent basis to be key to and support the growth strategy of the water infrastructure arm of the company, to develop and maintain a multidisciplinary Mechanical, Electrical & Civil programme of works with a key client and to work with the Delivery Teams, Project and Site Managers, and their engineering and construction teams to develop and update cost loaded and resourced programmes where required.
Reporting to the Planning Manager or directly to the Project Manager, the right candidate will be provided with a Personal Development Plan and dedicated training and mentoring to support and advance their career successfully to Senior Planner and would need demonstrable experience of the responsibilities below.
The Planner role will focus on leading and owning the planning process and working collaboratively with our pre-construction and operational teams on our projects across the South West region. An integral member of our team, you’ll coordinate and manage the production of high-quality programmes from inception through to project completion, taking ownership of the process and documentation.
• Ability to travel and spend time in our regional offices to support the planning teams
• Compile project and programme information
• Develop robust implementation programmes to ensure they are in place for project delivery
• Develop tender programmes for the purpose of cost agreement
• Development of standalone multidisciplinary construction baseline project plans in collaboration with the project delivery teams when required.
• Ensure the provision of project time(schedule) and cost trend performance indicators and statistics
• Ensure accurate and timely planning, including progress reporting, effective measurement of key dates and milestones, stretch targets and critical path analysis
• Ensure client focused planning output including the adoption of collaborative planning where possible.
• Identify and track all changes or potential changes to the agreed construction scope, ensuring that the relevant contract principles are applied and that the impacts are given immediate visibility to appropriate stakeholders
• Implement and comply with Galliford Try’s she policy and procedures, all legal requirements, and best practice within the business unit creating a knowingly safe environment
• Liaise with other functional staff (e.g., design/procurement/commissioning) to ensure the programme incorporates all activities and detailed logic associated with those functions
• Liaise with senior stakeholders both internally and externally to update and convey the strategic programme including resource and cost levelling.
• Manage and motivate junior members of the planning team as necessary
• Monitor and update project and programme information
• Participate in collaborative planning workshops and events as required by the site team
• Provide pro-active and forward-looking support to stakeholders in strategic and management decisions
• Progress monitoring, analysing, and trending schedule and cost information and providing summaries to project leads to allow proactive action to be timely implemented
• Receive and understand all project programme data and integrate all construction activities to mitigate potential resource and workface clashes
• Carry out site programme reviews to ensure accurate recording of progress
• Develop and maintain a strategic programme of works closely and collaboratively with a key client
• Construction Background
• Excellent communication and presenting skills at all levels, customer focused, personable, attentive, active listener, confident
• Excellent IT skills and experience using at least one type of planning software
• Excellent report writing and data analysis skills, speedy real-time changes to cover “what if scenarios” when required, (Client meetings)
• Understanding engineering principles and ability to interpret 3D models and engineering drawings
• Relevant knowledge of Primavera P6 and MS Project Planning software
• Good multidisciplinary construction knowledge (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical Instrumentation and control)
• A Site Management background is beneficial but not essential
• Water Industry experience is desirable but not essential
Minimum experience needed:
• Demonstratable experience as a Planner within the construction sector.
• Demonstratable experience using at least one type of planning software; Primavera P6, MS Project, Asta Powerproject etc.
• Experience with engineering principles
• Experience interpreting 3D models and engineering drawings
• Experience report writing and analysing relevant data
• Experience implementing real-time changes to cover potential scenarios
• IT literate, including Microsoft Suite.
• HNC/HND/Degree qualification or equivalent in a topic relevant to the construction industry or significant demonstratable experience as a Planner within the construction sector.
If rate of pay is a sliding scale, what is needed to get to the top amount:
• Significant demonstratable experience as a Planner within the construction sector, mainly within the water utilities industry.
• Significant demonstratable professional experience using planning software including Primavera P6 and MS Project at a minimum.
• Demonstratable experience with multidisciplinary construction including Civil, Mechanical, Electrical Instrumentation and Control/Instrumentation involved projects (Civil & MEICA)
• Site based background, including site management
• Further significant demonstratable experience with all points outlined in the job description and minimum experience section
The salary banding is indicative and dependent on experience. Details on the full package are to be discussed during shortlisting.